Skip to main content

Spoiler Free Review: In an Absent Dream



Title: In an Absent Dream (Book 4 in The Wayward Children Series)
Author: Seanan McGuire
Publisher: Tor Books
Publishing Date: January 8th 2019

Goodreads blurb:

This fourth entry and prequel tells the story of Lundy, a very serious young girl who would rather study and dream than become a respectable housewife and live up to the expectations of the world around her. As well she should.

When she finds a doorway to a world founded on logic and reason, riddles and lies, she thinks she's found her paradise. Alas, everything costs at the goblin market, and when her time there is drawing to a close, she makes the kind of bargain that never plays out well.

Review:

This is technically the eighth book I've read from Seanan McGuire (four of which are under her pen name, Mira Grant) and honestly, I find it difficult to say which is my favourite series, this or the Newsflesh series. I think it's fascinating as to how Seanan McGuire is able to craft a story, especially in this series, I kept finding myself lost in passages that she was writing, in the way she was able to push language and phrases into something so incredibly beautiful. And I think that I've missed that in her other books in this series (which probably means I'm going to reread them), but I don't know if that's because I related far too much with this character.

Let me explain, Lundy starts off as a girl who knows she's a bit odd, knows that she's never going to have the type of friends that every other kid has, and she's super fine with it. She finds solace in books and enjoys her own company. It isn't until she ends up whisked away to the Goblin Market that she understands why and how much she's different, and how much she potentially fits in somewhere else.

I think this book is super different to other books in this series because it spans a lot longer than the other books, where we'll get the span of a month to a year or so, and this book goes from the age of 6, all the way to almost 18 +

There are still a few setbacks with this series for me, the main being because the book are short, we don't get nearly as much character development than I would like, you have quite a lot about the main character that we focus on, but not all that much with many of the side characters. Lundy's best friend Moon is a great example, while we know quite a bit about her, I felt like she was more of a caricature than a fully fleshed out character.

I will also say, I know that the majority of these books are going to end with the kids going to the school for Wayward Children, it's in the basic idea of the series, but part of me was hoping that this one would be a happy ending, throughout this book I wanted Lundy to get whatever she wanted and to just be content. Genuinely she's probably my favourite character from the series so far.

I definitely recommend reading the series, it's quick, it's fun, it's got unbelievable representation throughout the books, and it's a fun interesting spin on the ideas set down by Lewis Carroll and C.S. Lewis.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A thought on book blogs...

There are many times that I've tried to sit down and start a book blog. This is my fourth or fifth attempt. And each and every time I do, I fail miserably because I don't have the time or the energy to keep it up, or I haven't been reading enough to warrant it, or I don't read the right books...which I know is ridiculous because we can read whatever we want...but I guess I'm just hesitant that people will judge me. Anyway, I end up saying that I'm going to write more and I end up just failing. With this in mind, a friend of mine does a book blog and for the past few months has been telling me that I should get to writing one and that because I read so much it should be something I love. And I've honestly wanted to get back into it. So, because it is my birthday tomorrow I decided to try it out again, do at least two posts a week for the next year and see how it goes. I'm not putting pressure on myself, I'm not trying to get myself to stress abou

Internalised Sexism in fandom for ACOTAR

  So, this is not how I expected to spend my last evening in self-isolation because of Covid but apparently I have a lot to say on this topic, so I’m sorry? This is also going on a VERY OLD not used blog so…you gotta do what you gotta do. First off, I’d like to say a quick disclaimer. This is a bit of fun for me, this is all opinion backed up from my own personal reading of Sarah J Maas’ books, but everyone reads things differently. Just because I read something in a certain way, doesn’t mean it’s fact. These characters do not belong to me, and this is purely opinion based. If you disagree with me, that’s 100% fine. I’m also willing to have discussions and debates about this as long as it doesn’t get aggressive or nasty, so yeah.   Also there’s gonna be spoilers so if you haven’t read the entire series or if you don’t want to look into it too deeply, you can skip it. Let’s get into it. I want to discuss the internalised sexism that the ACOTAR fanbase has seemingly put out there. This i