Skip to main content

Spoiler Free Book Review: Other Words for Smoke by Sarah Maria Griffin



Title: Other Words for Smoke
Author: Sarah Maria Griffin
Publisher: Titan Books
Publishing Date: April 2nd 2019

Goodreads blurb:

The house at the end of the lane burned down, and Rita Frost and her teenage ward, Bevan, were never seen again. The townspeople never learned what happened. Only Mae and her brother Rossa know the truth; they spent two summers with Rita and Bevan, two of the strangest summers of their lives... Because nothing in that house was as it seemed: a cat who was more than a cat, and a dark power called Sweet James that lurked behind the wallpaper, enthralling Bevan with whispers of neon magic and escape. And in the summer heat, Mae became equally as enthralled with Bevan. Desperately in the grips of first love, she'd give the other girl anything. A dangerous offer when all that Sweet James desired was a taste of new flesh...


Review:

This isn't the first time I've tried to read a book by Sarah Maria Griffin. I tried to read her other book, Spare and Found Parts, last year before going to see her at an author event. I didn't have time to read it however, and while I tried I couldn't fully connect to the main character. Going into Other Words for Smoke, I somehow knew that it was going to be different.

With the knowledge that it was going to be a female/female romance, I was excited to give it a try, because I think it's something we need to openly and happily accept in YA novels and also not make a huge deal out of it, and secondly, I wanted something that did it well. I don't know why I thought this book would, but I just got the feeling that this book was going to show sexuality well, and I wasn't entirely wrong.

The book has this subtle way of showing the magic. While there is definitely some form of magical force in the book, it's never a super obvious force that is in the very forefront of the story. The characters talk about it, and the author shows some things in the way of almost spells and other strange goings on, but it's not this big thing, we're not doing magic and making people float, and it's very much grounded in reality.

The book, I must say, is written so beautifully that it's unreal. Sarah Maria Griffin has this really nice way of making it sound extensive and clever and really vivid, without making it sound super flowery, which I think is a beautiful balance for a book like this. It's very interesting to see these snippets in footnotes where we get shown things almost from a different angle. It was just such a different way of writing that I really enjoyed and really found myself falling into the writing.

The other thing I want to say about this book, which I really enjoyed, was that it wasn't this big fight for good and evil type story. We did have really dark characters and really dark aspects to it, but it wasn't an end of the world type story. It all seemed contained within this one house and that though the stakes were high for some of the individuals from the house, it wasn't a big problematic plot.

Overall, this book is really well done, and I really thoroughly enjoyed it. I think the characters are really well developed, I think the plot is a really interesting glance into almost a slice of life contemporary with magic as this weird side venture. I am really interested in reading more from Sarah Maria Griffin, and I hope that I'm not disappointed in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A thought on book blogs...

There are many times that I've tried to sit down and start a book blog. This is my fourth or fifth attempt. And each and every time I do, I fail miserably because I don't have the time or the energy to keep it up, or I haven't been reading enough to warrant it, or I don't read the right books...which I know is ridiculous because we can read whatever we want...but I guess I'm just hesitant that people will judge me. Anyway, I end up saying that I'm going to write more and I end up just failing. With this in mind, a friend of mine does a book blog and for the past few months has been telling me that I should get to writing one and that because I read so much it should be something I love. And I've honestly wanted to get back into it. So, because it is my birthday tomorrow I decided to try it out again, do at least two posts a week for the next year and see how it goes. I'm not putting pressure on myself, I'm not trying to get myself to stress abou

Spoiler Free Review: In an Absent Dream

Title: In an Absent Dream (Book 4 in The Wayward Children Series) Author: Seanan McGuire Publisher: Tor Books Publishing Date: January 8th 2019 Goodreads blurb: This fourth entry and prequel tells the story of Lundy, a very serious young girl who would rather study and dream than become a respectable housewife and live up to the expectations of the world around her. As well she should. When she finds a doorway to a world founded on logic and reason, riddles and lies, she thinks she's found her paradise. Alas, everything costs at the goblin market, and when her time there is drawing to a close, she makes the kind of bargain that never plays out well. Review: This is technically the eighth book I've read from Seanan McGuire (four of which are under her pen name, Mira Grant) and honestly, I find it difficult to say which is my favourite series, this or the Newsflesh series. I think it's fascinating as to how Seanan McGuire is able to craft a story, especiall

Internalised Sexism in fandom for ACOTAR

  So, this is not how I expected to spend my last evening in self-isolation because of Covid but apparently I have a lot to say on this topic, so I’m sorry? This is also going on a VERY OLD not used blog so…you gotta do what you gotta do. First off, I’d like to say a quick disclaimer. This is a bit of fun for me, this is all opinion backed up from my own personal reading of Sarah J Maas’ books, but everyone reads things differently. Just because I read something in a certain way, doesn’t mean it’s fact. These characters do not belong to me, and this is purely opinion based. If you disagree with me, that’s 100% fine. I’m also willing to have discussions and debates about this as long as it doesn’t get aggressive or nasty, so yeah.   Also there’s gonna be spoilers so if you haven’t read the entire series or if you don’t want to look into it too deeply, you can skip it. Let’s get into it. I want to discuss the internalised sexism that the ACOTAR fanbase has seemingly put out there. This i